The Redbridge Integrated Falls Service works with older people and community groups to reduce falls resulting in serious injury.
- One in three people over the age of 65 fall each year and this increases to one in two for the over 80 group
- Falls are the biggest cause of accidents in the home
- The good news is that falls are not an inevitable part of getting older and many can be prevented
- Taking action to improve balance and making your environment safer can reduce the chances of a fall or, at least, the long term impact of a fall.
What are we doing?
- We are working with older people and community groups to reduce the number of falls that result in serious injury and to help older people to continue to live independently
- We provide information sessions and literature on what individuals can do to improve their balance
- We will refer people on if it appears that they would benefit from further support or intervention
- We are increasing the opportunities for exercise in the borough
- We organise events to promote the general wellbeing of older people
- We are working in partnership with Redbridge Health and the London Borough of Redbridge to develop the service further.